Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Secret Garden (Back Garden Update)




Alexis suggested this update. In April of 09 I posted that I wanted to get rid of my back lawn and install small pebbles, redirecting my irrigation to the perimeter narrow gardens. I had Sloane and a friend scrape the grass, had a dump truck unload a lot of tiny pebbles, and Jan wheel barrowed the rocks into place. Done. No. In September of 2009 Jan and I went to New York for three months. On our return a grassy weed has taken over the pebbles. Tony and the boys came in, shoved the pebbles to the side, pulled the weeds, and covered the earth with a black cloth that lets rain through but not vegetation. This black cloth was something that I had originally considered but thought I might dodge that bullet. Nope. It is an important element. Even the lengthy walkways in Carmel that are covered in small pebble, have to be majorly weeded every spring after the fall rains. If you want it maintenance free the black cloth is a must. Jonathan Henry came over for dinner last week and settled back in the back garden casually calling it a secret garden. He didn’t realize what a compliment he paid me.

1 comment:

  1. Just what we are contemplating for our back yard. Thanks for the tip on the black plastic cloth!

    ReplyDelete