Wednesday, February 4, 2009

February Planting Phase One (Carmel)



The University of California publishes a Vegetable Planting Guide for Santa Cruz County.  As it happens, on the Central Coast the planting times and seasons for Santa Cruz County and Monterey County are the same.  This then becomes my guide for planting.  In January I put in seeds for radishes.  This last weekend (Sunday, February 1) I put in seeds for Pole Peas (Sugar Snap), Beets (Detroit Dark Red), Cabbage (Dwarf Blue Curled Scotch), Butterhead Lettuce (Buttercrunch), Carrots (Nantes Coreless), and bulb sets of Red Onions.  The Peas and Beets got an ample mix of my latest compost and everything got a light sprinkle of dry organic fertilizer.  Although the soil is still damp I gave the planting a light sprinkle.  The pictures here show the garden plot in a wide shot and the closer shot is the location of the new seed plantings.  From the left; Lettuce/Kale, Cabbage, Beets, and Peas (note the poles.)  The Carrots are at the foot of these rows and the Onions are in a small separate area.  I was somewhat surprised that the onion bulbs are planted a mere two inches apart.  I hope I read this right.  Before the month is out I hope to sow some Parsley seeds.  Then, the plan for March os Broccoli, Cauliflower, and perhaps Spinach.

No comments:

Post a Comment